From start to finish, whenever you have a question, we will always take the time to explain everything and make sure you not only understand but that you have complete piece of mind.
How much will it cost?
Clearly, the cost depends on a number of factors such as the scale of the project, the type and size of the property, and the level of the specification. Having worked out a preliminary layout, we immediately give you an accurate estimate. If you prefer to start from a fixed budget, we will give you the options available for that cost.
- To refurbish a simple mansion block apartment, costs tend to range between £1600 – £2500 per m², depending on the size of the apartment. Smaller apartments work out at a greater cost per m² because the cost of the kitchen is no longer spread over such a large area.
- For house renovation, the figure is closer to £2500 – £3000 per m² as the roof, gardens, railings etc must be considered. A house will generally have different areas of cost to take into consideration than might appear at first glance.
- Basements generally work out at £6000 – £7000 per m². Around 60% of the cost lies in excavation and the creation of a shell and a structure. The remaining 40% accounted for by finishing, including lighting, flooring, heating etc. As with apartments, economy of scale applies, so a bigger basement will lower the cost per m².
Do you have a minimum and maximum size of project?
Every job we work on requires the same close supervision, whether large or small. This results in a certain amount of fixed overhead so it is simply not economical for us to work on any job whose work value is below £300,000. Our largest single contract value to date is £2.85m, for remodelling a block of flats, adding a lift and a 2 storey penthouse. We have the manpower, resources and expertise to undertake any one project of up to £5 – 6m.
How long will it take?
In our experience, the following guidelines provide a helpful indication of approximate timings.
If planning approval is required, it takes us around two weeks to draw up plans. Planning approval will take at least another eight weeks, but during that time we can start on aspects of the contract that are not dependent on it. A flat in a mansion block takes around four months to refurbish.
A complete house renovation takes around five to eight months, and a house where a basement needs to be excavated, and therefore needs underpinning, will take eight to ten months.
Do you only work in Kensington and Chelsea, Belgravia and Westminster, as per your portfolio?
High quality residential refurbishment requires a lot of continuous close supervision. As such we work in areas that we can get to with minimum travel time, but are happy to undertake larger projects further afield, such as in Richmond, Hampstead, Dulwich or Highgate.
How would you describe your style?
Good design comes in many styles. Whilst we have worked on numerous period properties, you can see from the case studies we’re also good at ultra contemporary and minimalist schemes.
We pride ourselves on our ability to listen to your ideas and then make them come alive in the way you want. We interpret, then consult with you to ensure we are all in agreement – we never impose.
Whatever the style, we place great emphasis on layout and storage.
I have an interior designer I want to use. Will that cause problems?
Not at all, we frequently work with interior designers chosen by our clients.
How can we be sure that the work will be carried out properly?
We have an excellent reputation and we are more than keen to keep it! For your additional peace of mind, every stage of the project has to be checked by an independent Quantity Surveyor before payment is released, so you are continually reassured that the work has been carried out to the required standard.
Can you provide us with references?
Of course – we are always more than happy to give you whatever references you require.